Not only is winter the time to employ preventative skin care to protect against the cold, dry elements of the season, it’s also a great time¬†to undo the damage incurred during all your¬†outdoor summer activities!¬†All services and products mentioned here¬†are available to try out and purchase at the Haven Spa Boutique:
- Consider Peels & Microderm Abrasion:¬†Whether¬†you opt for a series of¬†peels¬†(lactic peels will lighten sun damage from the summer and help with cell turnover without causing dryness), or¬†microdermabrasion¬†(which will help with texture, clarity and skin renewal), or a combination of both in conjunction with¬†one of our¬†custom medi facials, these treatments will¬†slough away all the damaged skin to reveal a brighter, more even skin tone. It’s a great way to start the cold weather months!
- Gently Cleanse: You want to use a gentle daily cleanser that doesn‚Äôt strip your skin of its natural oils.¬†SkinCeuticals Gentle Cleanser does just that: its creamy formula removes excess oils, make-up and other impurities while leaving skin hydrated, soft and refreshed.
- Exfoliate:¬†Properly removing dead surface cells will help maintain your spa treatment until your next visit. How often you exfoliate depends on your skin type:¬†1) Excessively Dry Skin:¬†Lightly massage the skin with something like¬†Astara’s Refining Scrub¬†using¬†a¬†physical exfoliator once a¬†week.¬†2) Combination Skin:¬†You could use¬†Astara’s Daily Refining Scrub or Green Papaya Mask¬†1 to 2 times per week.¬†¬†3) Oily Skin:¬†Using¬†SkinCeuticals Hydrating B-5 Gel daily would be perfect.
- Hydrate from Within:¬†Drink plenty of water and eat foods rich in omega -3 fatty acids which are responsible for keeping skin well lubricated and giving skin a glowing appearance.
- Add¬†Oils to Your Every Day Regimen:¬†Nourishing topical oils are good for protection and hydration. Jojoba, coconut, Vitamin A and Vitamin C oils¬†are all good choices. One of our favorite blends¬†for dehydrated winter skin¬†is¬†Mu Face Oil. Apply it after exfoliation, before your moisturizer.
- Moisturize Moisturize Moisturize:
After exfoliating, an emollient, rich, free-radical-fighting moisturizer is best for protecting skin¬†from the harsh elements of winter. Be sure to use one in both the AM and PM.¬†Some of our¬†favorites are the Triple Lipid Restore from SkinCeuticals, the¬†MU¬†Moisturizing Complex, and either the rich Radiance Renewal or the lighter¬†Antioxidant Moisturizer, both from¬†Astara.
- Avoid Super Hot Showers:¬†They¬†can strip the skin of its natural oils.
- SPF It Up:¬†Don’t forget, the sun still shines in winter! So wearing a sunblock is a must, especially during outdoor winter activities¬†like skiing and sledding!
All of these winter skincare essentials and more are available at our Spa Boutique in Rhinebeck. Stop in any time or give us a call about any of the lines we carry!