I am extremely excited and proud to be embarking on this new amazing journey with all of you. Myself, and this team, are committed to delivering the same amazing quality of care you have grown accustomed to here at Haven.
We are planning on offering you more new and exciting services that not only mesh beauty and wellness, but that take pampering and self-care to a whole new level. After all, you deserve to look and feel your very best! We think you’re going to love it — we certainly hope you will!
A little bit about me: I am a board-certified Surgical Physicians Assistant, and have been working as such for the past 16 years. I have extensive experience in vascular, cardiothoracic, and plastic surgery. My goal is to meet every client’s unique hopes and needs, not only in terms of appearance, but also in terms of an overall sense of wellbeing. I want you to feel beautiful inside and out,
Thank you for your loyalty and patience during this transition, and for your patronage for the past 20+ years. Here’s to the next 20!
A new season is upon us! As we say goodbye to winter and welcome the sunshine of spring, it’s time to talk about prepping our skin for the change in weather. Just as your home yearns for a springtime refresh, your skin also benefits from a spring-cleaning. To look your very best this season, it’s important to make adjustments to your skin care, especially if you live in a climate where the difference in temperature and humidity are significant. Retire those heavy face creams and let us usher you into a new beauty routine that embraces the vernal equinox.
1. Say Goodbye to Winter Skin
At Haven, we believe deeply in the power of exfoliation! In fact, exfoliation is key in springtime skin rejuvenation. After a long winter, you will want to strip off the flakes and dryness caused by cold, damaging air. Spring is a great time for exfoliating treatments, as skin tends to be less sensitive as humidity rises. Adding a light scrub or exfoliating peel will gently yet effectively brighten the appearance of your skin and help remove the buildup of dead skin cells from winter. Your skin will breathe a sigh of relief and thank you with a dewy, glowing complexion!
2. Add Vitamin C
Vitamin C is not just for winter. The antioxidant properties of vitamin C help to promote collagen, giving your skin a more youthful appearance. But that’s not all! Some studies have shown that vitamin C may also help to prevent and treat ultraviolet (UV)–induced photo damage. Vitamin C helps to remove hyper-pigmentation and uneven skin tone, to reveal brighter, youthful new skin. According to our senior esthetician, Lydia Ronkese, one of the best serums is SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic, which contains 15% pure vitamin C. “It’s vitamins for the skin and packs quite a punch while brightening the complexion. I feel it just polishes the skin,” Lydia affirms, “so you look radiant and glowy.”
3. Go Lighter
The transition from winter to spring can be rough on your skin. In the cold, dry months our skin gets parched and requires a layered approach of serums, face oils, and heavy moisturizer. In the spring as the humidity rises, our skin’s natural oil production increases and as a result, our skin tends to stay more hydrated. This means switching from a heavy moisturizer to a lighter lotion appropriate for warmer weather.
4. Daily SPF Is a Must
With shorter days and little sunlight in winter, we forget to pay attention to sunscreen. With more sunshine in spring comes more responsibility. As we salute the sun, don’t forget to protect your skin from both UVA and UVB light throughout the day. After all, applying sunscreen in spring is also good practice for summer!
5. Spring Clean Your Skin with a Professional Facial
We’ve established that winter-dulled and fatigued skin needs a major refresh! We also know facials are ah-mazing. A professional facial is not just designed to help you relax; they are wonderful for the mind and soul, perfect for any self-care ritual. As Lydia expertly reminds us, springtime is the best time for a professional facial to effectively “slough off those layers of dead skin cells” that simply can’t be done at home with scrubs. An esthetician will safely strip away your winter damage, leaving you radiant and glowing for the new season. The same goes for deep cleansing, hydrating, detoxifying and thoroughly cleaning out the pores, using ingredients only estheticians are certified to use.
At Haven, our facials are customized treatments for the skin. As we gear up for spring, we recommend our ENVIRON VITAMIN C FACIAL. This brightening, firming, and glowing anti-aging facial is ideal for post-winter skin. We infuse a Vitamin C Peel with a 10% lactic acid peel using the advanced Environ Micro-Current System. This facial has long-lasting results with an immediate brightening glow result and no down time. By the end of this luxurious facial, not only will your skin will be gloriously set for spring, but you’ll have been transported to a place of calm and serenity!
Skip Amazon and return to small-town holiday gift shopping you can feel good about. We’ve curated the best in well-being and beauty items that make the perfect gifts for most everyone on your list. Stop by our Spa Boutique on Rte 9 in beautiful Rhinebeck to find all the following items and more!
REVITALASH — Their original, one-of-a-kind, ophthalmologist-developed eyelash conditioner enhances the look of lashes and protects against breakage, while improving health, flexibility & strength, for lashes that thrive, naturally. We also have their multi-functional, long-wear, water-resistant eyebrow pencil which allows for customizable definition. Don’t be fooled by imitations.
KOZI NECK WRAPS — This Thermopeutic Neck Wrap allows the wearer to take a moment to relax, find their inner peace, and recharge with soothing, uplifting aromas. Let the koziness commence!
FANATASTIC FACIAL TOOL — Rooted in the Chinese tradition and crafted with care, this luxury line of |facia accessories will give you glowing skin, naturally Like with the Rose Quartz Gua Sha Facial Lifting Tool (pictured here), or a de-puffing Jade Eye Massage Tool, or a cooling, soothing Amethyst Facial Roller. (More ideas below!)
HEALING SALT BLOCKS — Do you know a workout queen? Someone who’s on their feet all day? A good friend or partner who just loves baths? This is the block for them! Featuring therapeutic-grade Epsom salt, healing arnica and invigorating peppermint essential oil to relax and restore the body. Bath salts made easy!
CALI CANDLES — Make someone’s life smell better with a bundle of these super cool candles from Cali which are vegan, cruelty-free, and phthalate-free, always. And all of these candles are made with 100% domestically- grown soy wax. Let your holiday light shine!
THE COZIEST SOCKS — They’ll want a pair in every color! Help keep loved ones’ toes cozy in these best-selling supremely soft socks! The perfect stocking stuffer. We also have wraps, hats & scarves in the same cozy style and fabric.
THERAGUN MASSAGER — This percussive therapy device helps relax and soothe sore muscles, whether you’re an athlete, a busy parent, or just sitting at a desk all day. Try it yourself as an add-on to a Haven Massage — we’re sure you’ll want to take one one home or gift one to a friend!
HOLIDAY CANDLES — Handcrafted California luxury, exquisite scents, reusable containers, and perfectly formulated candles are what make these candles so special. Their ingredients are rare, sourced globally, and contribute to exclusive unique fragrances, like White Cypress, Gilt Pomander & Hinoki, and Burning Woods.
According to the US Chamber of Commerce, for every dollar spent at a local business, almost 70 cents stays in the community! So shop local, gift well, feel good.
Happy Haven Anniversary Year! For 20 years, we’ve been honored to help you achieve an overall sense of true well-being. This is your Haven, a tranquil retreat away from the stresses of modern day life, your sanctuary, to relax, to recharge, and to refocus on taking better care of yourself. We hope, while you’re here, you’ll go beyond beauty to a place you can come home to again and again. Because everyone needs a Haven.
At this point in the summer, you’ve probably gotten a pretty good base tan, the novelty of the pool or beach may be wearing off a bit, and you may already be counting the days until school starts again. By mid-summer, it’s tempting to become a little lax about your SPF application. But don’t do it! Now is the time to be more vigilant than ever. So here’s a little SPF refresher to keep you motivated and keep your skin beautiful.
1. Apply sunscreen correctly, and reapply religiously, every day. According to the skin cancer experts at one of our favorite brands — SkinCeuticals — studies have shown that more than half of sunscreen users do NOT apply the dermatologist-recommended amount to properly protect skin from sun damage. In order to stay adequately protected, it is important that all exposed areas of skin are covered by a generous layer of sunscreen. As a general rule of thumb, a nickel-sized amount should be applied to the face and a shot glass amount should be applied to the body. It is also important to remember that no matter how much sunscreen you apply, it should be reapplied every 2 hours, especially when spending an extended amount of time outdoors. Reapply more frequently if swimming or sweating. See the Skinceuticals video below for more on application technique.
2. Invest in quality sunscreen. We’re proud to carry the very best in sunscreen protection in our boutique. Born from decades of skin cancer research, Skinceuticals’ high potency formulas are concentrated in pure actives and proven to penetrate optimally into skin — choose from SkinCeuticals Light Moisture UV Defense, Sheer Physical UV Defense, and Sport UV Defense — all SPF 50. MD Solar Science’s 40 SPF Mineral Sunblock Stick has a non-whitening formula which glides on easily and flawlessly to deliver powerful mineral protection that is perfect for on-the-go application — it’s non-irritating, oil-free, water resistant up to 80 minutes, and gentle enough for the most sensitive skin types. Finally, Super Goop offers feel-good formulas with clean ingredients that provide super-powered sun protection in a variety of products, including protective lip balm.
3. Make sure your makeup has sunscreen in it. For example, MD Solar Science’s 30 SPF Mineral Tinted Creme has a universally flattering tint and a silky-smooth texture with lightweight matte finish that makes this formula a perfect primer for makeup. And don’t forget your lips! Super Goop’s Mint or Acai Fusion Lip Balm with Shea Butter goes on silky smooth, keeping your lips hydrated in the heat and beautifully protected from the sun.
4. Add Vitamin C. It’s a great corrector of Sun Damage. You can enjoy services like our Antioxidant Vitamin C Facial all season long safely, in order to help restore the look of radiance and improve the signs of sun damage. The powerful antioxidants in such a treatment help to re-establish the look of clarity, giving the skin a brighter, firmer, more youthful appearance. And add Vitamin C daily — for example, with Environ’s Intense C-Boost Mela-Even Cream — to help prevent the destruction of collagen and elastin, and the formation of pigmentation due to sun exposure.
5. Cover up. Beach umbrellas, stylish cover-ups, and wide-brimmed hats are your best accessories in the last month of summer (which goes well into September). We still have some gorgeous options in our spa boutique!
6. Limit time in the sun. Between 10am and 2pm are when the sun’s rays are most intense, and thus the most damaging. Try to schedule your time in direct sun — whether for walks, playing or just relaxing — outside of this window. Whatever time of day you’re out in the sun, try not to stay out in it for too long. Long breaks in shade are imperative.
The recent solar eclipse got us thinking about the sun, and your need to protect yourself from its damaging rays. The days are getting longer, the sun is getting stronger, and summer is almost here! So stop by our Spa Boutique for the highest quality sunscreens — because your skin deserves the best:
MD SOLAR SCIENCES harnesses the power of minerals, with either their Mineral Moisture Defense for the Body in SPF 50 or their convenient Mineral Sunscreen Stick in SPF 40.
SKINCEUTICALS’ Physical Fusion UV Defense in SPF 50 is tinted to give you flawless coverage. Their Sport U Defense, also SPF 50, is “marathon runner tested” for active use.
SUPERGOOP!’s Play SPF 30 Lip Balms come with either a hint of Acai or Mint for maximum protection and kissability.
Our Spa Boutique is open during spa hours: • Monday: 8:30AM to 7:30PM • Wednesday: 8:30AM to 7:30PM • Thursday: 8:30AM to 7:30PM • Friday: 8:30AM to 7:30PM • Saturday: 8AM to 7:30PM • Sunday: 10AM to 5PM
Shop local AND protect your skin: two great things in one trip to 6464 Montgomery Street on Rte 9 in Rhinebeck, NY, *BEFORE* you start soaking up those rays this summer!
Is your skin looking dull or dry lately? Do you have peach fuzz you’d like removed? Want to improve the efficacy of your facial treatments? Do you long for baby-soft skin again? Then our Dermaplaning Facial is perfect for you!
Dermaplaning is a super-effective exfoliating treatment in which our trained aestheticians use a surgical scalpel to gently and safely scrape the surface of your skin using light, feathering strokes. Benefits include:
Removal of fine vellus hairs which don’t respond well to laser hair removal treatments — and not to worry: this type of hair does not grow back any thicker or faster!
More even skin tone
Improvement of mild acne scarring
Reduced look of fine lines
Increased efficacy and penetration of follow-up facial products
Super soft skin
The process takes only 15 or 20 minutes, and is followed up by our popular SkinCeuticals facial — which will work even better because of the improved penetration effects of the dermaplaning. There is no downtime and this facial can be done as often as every two weeks. So why not give new life to your skin and try this popular new trend in skincare!
DERMAPLANING FACIAL 60 min. $210
DERMAPLANING FACIAL with CELLUMA LED LIGHT THERAPY 90 min. $270
One study showed that moms work, on average, close to 100 hours per week (98 to be exact) — that’s the equivalent of two full-time jobs! That kind of intense schedule of often hidden labor can take a toll on one’s physical and mental wellbeing. Time away, dedicated to self-care, is not only nice, it’s necessary.
But many mothers find it difficult to ask for the break they need. Which is why Mother’s Day (May 9th this year) is the perfect opportunity to gift Mom a respite from the day-to-day. A Haven Gift Certificate says she deserves the chance to be kind to herself and take time out. It puts the self-care in her hands, allowing her to choose the service or services she enjoys most, at a day and time that best suits her schedule. You just have to make sure she actually carves out time to use it!
If she’s not used to taking time for herself, you can recommend some of our most popular rejuvenating services — the ones where moms leave Haven feeling restored and ready to take on the world again:
1. HAVEN SIGNATURE MASSAGE — The wellness benefits of massage have been well-proven: they reduce stress, relieve tension, relax tired muscles, and reduce fatigue. Massages were made for moms! Our classic customized full-body Swedish massage will make her a true believer in the power of healing touch.
2. ORGANIC SKIN SPECIFIC FACIAL — Sometimes all it takes is a good deep cleansing to be ready to face the world again with renewed energy. Our classic, natural, customized facial uses the most luxurious, almost all-organic products. After a thorough skin analysis, intensive cleansing with the Clarisonic brush, extractions, a customized mask, and a personalized skin cream, mom will emerge glowing with new confidence.
3. SEA SALT SCRUB — This is THE quintessential scrub. Sea salt and essential oils exfoliate the body from head to toe, removing dry, itchy skin and increasing overall circulation. Followed by a moisturizing cream treatment, mom will leave feeling brand new. 4. HAVEN SEASONAL LUXE PEDICURE — The staying power of professional pedicures make them the perfect treat for a busy mom, an indulgence she can enjoy for weeks. There’s the mineral-bath soak, the revitalizing scrub, the moisturizing masque, the Eco-Fin treatment wrap, and the beautiful polish, but nothing beats the foot and calf rub for moms who are constantly running to and fro.
5 ONE SHOT LASH LIFT + LASH TINT — What a gift to get bright, beautiful lashes that don’t require daily maintenance! Just one 20-minute professional treatment will lift her own lashes from the root, creating the illusion of dramatic length that is retained — even after a shower or swimming — for up to 12 weeks. And with the color tint of her choice, she’ll get even better results to help her feel even more beautiful.
When you gift Mom a Haven Gift Certificate on Mother’s Day, you’re giving her something to look forward to, the chance to take a well-deserved break. And between now and Mother’s Day, if you purchase a Haven Online Gift Certificate for her worth $250 or more, we’ll give you an extra $25 Gift Card for FREE, to add to her overall sense of wellbeing. Use code APPRECIATION at havenrhinebeck.com/gifts
This year, be sure to take extra special care of the moms who take such good care of you and yours. Happy Mother’s Day!