We’re thrilled to be voted again as the people’s choice for Best Day Spa in the Hudson Valley. For 18 years, we’ve been honored to offer Hudson Valley residents and visitors a serene spa retreat where they can unwind, relieve stress, soothe tension, clarify skin, find new favorite accessories, get unique gifts, and feel beautiful all year long. We hope you’ll come relax with us again — or for the first time — soon.
Who doesn’t want to have smooth, glowing skin? We all do! To keep our limbs looking lovely, to help our summer-sun glow last longer and yes, to get ready for fall, we need to exfoliate consistently. Just as with the face, the body also needs exfoliation. Using a scrub on your body regularly will help make your skin look more vibrant and youthful. Read on to find out how body scrubs can improve your skin’s health and keep your epidermis looking its best.
One Word: Exfoliate, Exfoliate Exfoliate
At Haven, we talk a lot about exfoliation and there is good reason to expound on a process that helps to remove dead skin cells and clear away oil, dirt, and residue from pores. Many people have a tendency to concentrate on the face but the skin on our body also needs extra care.
All seasons uniquely challenge the skin. Over the summer, layers of moisturizer, sunscreen and oils build up. Combine that with swimming, sunbathing and a bit of sweating, and our bodies build up dead skin cells and residue very quickly — more than we realize. That’s when we turn to a good body scrub for help, especially as we transition into autumn.
At any time of year, the combination of cleansing, exfoliating and massage provide that all-important benefit of sloughing off old cells and banishing dry skin. In fact, a professional body scrub is a great way to make rough skin smooth again.
Different Types of Professional Body Scrubs
Haven offers a delightful menu of relaxing, yet invigorating body scrub treatments. If you want to detoxify, then espresso, tobacco and black silt clay blended with Indian sarsaparilla and honey will remove old skin cells while drawing out impurities and sealing in moisture.
A sea salt scrub is a quintessential method to exfoliate the body from head to toe, removing dry skin and importantly increasing overall circulation — yet another benefit to a body scrub. The rubbing action not only boosts circulation, but helps to drain your lymph nodes thanks to the increased blood flow to your skin’s surface.
Enjoy lemon chiffon? A full-body scrub with lemon and jojoba beads is the perfect body polish that will help your skin feel and look brand new! Whichever treatment you choose, your body will thank you with fabulous, healthier skin.
Turn Your Shower Into a Spa-like Experience
Before heading outdoors, it’s a good idea to exfoliate first. Removing the uppermost layer of the skin helps with skin discoloration and uneven tone. It also keeps the epidermis both softer and firmer, while allowing sunscreen or moisturizer to be applied more easily so that it penetrates more deeply.
Most of us have a variety of hair and skin products at the ready in the shower, but do you have a body scrub? Most of us don’t, but we should.
A scrub in your shower is actually a must-have; essential for maintaining healthy, smooth skin, whether it’s a store-bought scrub or homemade (see below). Scrubs can be applied with a loofah pad or an exfoliating glove to give your skin the invigorating rub-down it needs. Add a drop or two of your favorite essential oil and suddenly your scrub turns your shower into a beautiful aromatherapy session.
Try This Homemade Scrub
Yes, you can make your own scrub at home from things you already have in your cupboard! Simple ingredients like honey, sugar, salt, a quality organic oil, oatmeal, and even coffee all work well. Here’s one recipe:
- ¼ cup raw honey. Warm honey in the microwave for a few seconds until it becomes runny but not too hot to the touch.
- Stir in two tablespoons of either coconut, olive or sweet almond oil (or any other carrier oil)
- 1 teaspoon (fine or course) sea salt
- ½ cup raw sugar
- ½ cup oatmeal (or coffee grounds for a more invigorating scrub)
- 1-3 drops essential oil (lavender, citrus, peppermint, or almond)
Tip: Store in a mason jar or any airtight container and keep in a dry place. Sugar scrubs can last up to three weeks or more, as long as the container has a lid on it. Use a few scoopfuls at a time. Enjoy!
Some Things to Keep in Mind About Scrubs
If you have healthy skin, you can use a scrub up to three times a week. If your skin is more sensitive, limit a good buffing to once a week. Be careful not to over scrub.
After you scrub, you will notice a difference in the look and feel of your skin. To keep it that way, immediately apply moisturizer to protect the moisture barrier, making skin smooth and supple and looking its best!
At this point in the summer, you’ve probably gotten a pretty good base tan, the novelty of the pool or beach may be wearing off a bit, and the school year is fast approaching. By August, it’s tempting to become a little lax about your SPF application. But don’t do it! Now is the time to be more vigilant than ever. So here’s a little SPF refresher to keep you motivated and keep your skin beautiful.
1. Apply sunscreen correctly, and reapply religiously, every day. According to the skin cancer experts at one of our favorite brands — SkinCeuticals — studies have shown that more than half of sunscreen users do NOT apply the dermatologist-recommended amount to properly protect skin from sun damage. In order to stay adequately protected, it is important that all exposed areas of skin are covered by a generous layer of sunscreen. As a general rule of thumb, a nickel-sized amount should be applied to the face and a shot glass amount should be applied to the body. It is also important to remember that no matter how much sunscreen you apply, it should be reapplied every 2 hours, especially when spending an extended amount of time outdoors. Reapply more frequently if swimming or sweating. See the Skinceuticals video below for more on application technique.
2. Invest in quality sunscreen. We’re proud to carry the very best in sunscreen protection in our boutique. Born from decades of skin cancer research, Skinceuticals’ high potency formulas are concentrated in pure actives and proven to penetrate optimally into skin — choose from SkinCeuticals Light Moisture UV Defense, Sheer Physical UV Defense, and Sport UV Defense — all SPF 50. MD Solar Science’s 40 SPF Mineral Sunblock Stick has a non-whitening formula which glides on easily and flawlessly to deliver powerful mineral protection that is perfect for on-the-go application — it’s non-irritating, oil-free, water resistant up to 80 minutes, and gentle enough for the most sensitive skin types. Finally, Super Goop offers feel-good formulas with clean ingredients that provide super-powered sun protection in a variety of products, from SPF 50 Everyday Sunscreen Lotion to Antioxidant-infused Sunscreen Mist.
3. Make sure your makeup has sunscreen in it. For example, MD Solar Science’s 30 SPF Mineral Tinted Creme has a universally flattering tint and a silky-smooth texture with lightweight matte finish that makes this formula a perfect primer for makeup. And don’t forget your lips! Super Goop’s Mint or Acai Fusion Lip Balm with Shea Butter goes on silky smooth, keeping your lips hydrated in the heat and beautifully protected from the sun.
4. Add Vitamin C. It’s a great corrector of Sun Damage. You can enjoy services like our Environ Vitamin C Facial all season long safely, in order to help restore the look of radiance and improve the signs of sun damage. The powerful antioxidants in such a treatment help to re-establish the look of clarity, giving the skin a brighter, firmer, more youthful appearance. And add Vitamin C daily — for example, with Environ’s Intense C-Boost Mela-Even Cream — to help prevent the destruction of collagen and elastin, and the formation of pigmentation due to sun exposure.
5. Cover up. Beach umbrellas, stylish cover-ups, and wide-brimmed hats are your best accessories in the last month of summer (which goes well into September). We still have some gorgeous sun visors from Tickled Pink, as well as a few beautiful Shiraleah Kimonos and Nibi Montauk cover-ups in our Spa Boutique — all are 25% OFF right now!
6. Limit time in the sun. Between 10am and 2pm are when the sun’s rays are most intense, and thus the most damaging. Try to schedule your time in direct sun — whether for walks, playing or just relaxing — outside of this window. Whatever time of day you’re out in the sun, try not to stay out in it for too long. Long breaks in shade are imperative.
Enjoy the rest of summer!
What are essential oils? Essential oils are highly concentrated aromatic extracts derived from plants and a variety of plant material via various means: steam distillation, cold press, or CO2 extraction. Containing healing and wellness power, they have been used throughout history for medicinal and aesthetic purposes. It’s no secret that a Haven we are big fans of essential oils. They enhance spa treatments, giving you the sense of being grounded and carried away at the same time. But they can also be used at home to recreate that relaxing or rejuvenating spa feeling every day.
Fill Your Senses
Scents are powerful! You can harness that power from each bottle of essential oil and transform your mood and even your day. Essential oils remind us of the bounty and gifts that come from Mother Nature, let us bask in the beautiful outdoors by filling our senses with the scents of summer fields, exotic locales, bountiful gardens. They can remind us of watching a sunset, heading to the mountains or simply communing with Nature. Come into our Spa Boutique to sample the selection of Naturopathica’s Aromatic Alchemy we carry.
Elevate Your Bath
Set aside some time. Take a luxurious bath with salts that improve cleaning of the skin, treats skin irritation and inflammation, relaxes muscles and loosens stiff points, adding your favorite essential oil. Tip: don’t add essential oil directly to your bath water, first mix the essential oil to a “carrier” oil like coconut, jojoba, or olive oil. For a single bath add three to twelve drops, depending upon how strong you want the scent to one tablespoon of carrier oil and how sensitive your skin is. Your best skin-loving bet for a relaxing bath is an essential oil that promotes relaxation: Lavender, Camomille, or Rose.
Become a Beauty Buff
Set aside some time to incorporate essential oils into your beauty ritual. That can mean adding essential oil to your DIY mask. A clarifying clay mask to help with excess shine can be made with five simple ingredients plus water:
- One teaspoon of Moroccan clay which is rich in calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
- One tablespoon of aloe vera gel for a hydration bomb packed with enzymes, vitamins, and amino acids.
- One tablespoon of water.
- Three drops of Tea Tree essential oil, to clear out blemishes and cleanse.
- Two drops of Lemon essential oil for that ah-mazing refreshed and clean feel.
- Five drops Geranium essential oil for uber velvety skin.
Mix all the ingredients together to form a thick paste. Add more or less water and aloe vera gel depending upon how you like the consistency. Tip: it should be thin enough to spread and thick enough to stay in place. Leave on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off, pat your face dry, then use your favorite moisturizer.
Make Your Mist More Meaningful
Add essential oil to your face mist or make your own! It’s easy. Fill a spray bottle ¼ of the way with filtered/purified water then top it off with organic Rosewater and a few drops of Evening Primrose essential oil to create a romantic, delicately sweet Rosewater Mist. Or try Jurlique’s Rosewater Mist, which we carry in our Spa Boutique. Then spray away! For more, read: “Why We Mist”
Step Up Your Self-Care
Pause from the busyness of modern life and social media with the help of your favorite essential oil. Drop some in a diffuser and let the scent waft through the air while visions of orange blossoms and lemon groves, bushels of geranium and baskets of roses dance in your head.
Dab a small drop of essential oil directly onto your wrists, whilst sitting in a comfortable position with a straight, elongated spine. Gently rub your wrists together, with palms facing each other, letting the scent drift upward. Inhale. Then bring them up to your nostrils and inhale again, deeply, closing your eyes to allow the scent to ignite your soul. In this posture, bring your hands together, palm to palm, down to your heart center and then take a few more deep, cleansing breaths. Repeat for a few minutes with the essential oil that moves you.
Or simply place a few drops on a tissue and place inside a pillow to promote rest and relaxation.
Essential oils remind us of what’s important. They help us to usher in a greater appreciation for the everyday. With a love of essential oils, we learn to cherish what’s important. Because when we pause, during that pause, it becomes clear, what is essential in our lives. Most often, it’s specific, important people who make our lives special. Reach out, let them know — via a text, a call, or better yet, a visit — how much they mean to you.
1. Dazzle Dry Manicure — You get enough UV exposure in the summer, you don’t need it in your manicures! Not only does Dazzle Dry not require any UV/LED light, but it has no harmful or reactive ingredients, is exceptionally non-yellowing, and is also 100% vegan! It’s FLEX TECH technology bends, expands and contracts with the natural nail to provide exclusive protection against lacquer breaks, chips and lifting. Dazzle Dry wears like a gel, but removes like a polish, and comes in lots of bright summer colors.
2. Super Goop — Experts in SPF, Super Goop offers feel-good formulas with clean ingredients that provide super-powered sun protection in a variety of products, from SPF 50 Everyday Sunscreen Lotion to Antioxidant-infused Sunscreen Mist with Vitamin C to Mint Fusion Lip Balm with Shea Butter!
3. Oka•B Footwear — We’re delighted to feature this premiere brand’s line of sandals and flip-flops in a variety of fun colors. Stylish and comfortable, Oka•Bs are perfect for summers on the go! They not only look great with every outfit but feel great with every step.
4. Seasonal Luxe Pedicure — Feet take a beating in the summer months thanks to the heat, the sand, the chlorine and the flip-flops! Our seasonal pedicure with green-tea-infused Pure Fiji products will treat your beleaguered feet to a green tea mineral-bath soak, a green tea revitalizing scrub, a hydrating green tea masque, a soothing creme massage, a green tea Eco-Fin oil treatment, and a perfect polish.
5. MD Solar SunscreenOur boutique carries only the best, which includes MD Solar Science’s 30 SPF Mineral Tinted Creme and 40 SPF Mineral Sunblock Stick. The former has a universally flattering tint and a silky-smooth texture with lightweight matte finish that makes this formula a perfect primer for makeup. Their sunblock stick’s non-whitening formula glides on easily and flawlessly to deliver powerful mineral protection that is perfect for on-the-go application. Both are non-irritating, oil-free, water resistant up to 80 minutes, and gentle enough for the most sensitive skin types. Naturally derived and safer mineral UV protection helps reduce the risk of photo aging and skin cancer.
6. Laser Hair Removal — For a more permanent solution to unwanted hair, we offer our new Medi-Spa Laser Therapy. This breakthrough, revolutionary technology has been described as one of the most comfortable hair removal options available. Call us for your free consultation on how you can remove hair for silky, smooth skin without any fuss.
7. Tone & Glow Body Treatment — Our effective SkinCeuticals Facial & a full-body Pure Fiji Body Treatment with the power of guava fruit will firm, tone and brighten skin. Its high vitamin C content generates collagen, the vitamin K improves skin tone, and the lycopene reduces wrinkles and smooths skin. Perfect for swimsuit season!
8. Tickled Pink Sun Hat — One of the best ways to protect yourself from the sun’s harmful ways is with a hat! So why not cover up in style with one of Tickled Pink’s Natural Roll-Up Beach Visors? Available in black, white and straw-color.
9. SkinCeuticals UV Defense Products — We’re proud to carry the Skinceuticals line of premium skincare, which includes several powerful products that help prevent and fight sun damage: SkinCeuticals Light Moisture UV Defense, Sheer Physical UV Defense, and Sport UV Defense — all SPF 50. Born from decades of skin cancer research, Skinceuticals’ high potency formulas are concentrated in pure actives and proven to penetrate optimally into skin.
10. Shiraleah Tote Bags — The breezy summer essential for carefree beach days is a tote from Shiraleah, which makes responsibly-crafted lifestyle products inspired by different cultures from around the world. Most feature double handles, a magnetic snap closure and an inner slip pocket. Plus, they’re vegan!
Stop by our Spa Boutique to try these fabulous products in person or call us to book an appointment for one of our refreshing summer services.
Collagen is the buzzword being used by beauty gurus everywhere — and with good reason. It’s thought to be ‘beauty in a bottle.’ Though not the kind we apply onto our bodies; rather, the kind we put into them.
At Haven, we are big believers that good skin starts with good nutrition. Collagen is essential to the optimal health of the skin, but as we age — even if we eat well — we make less of it due to hormonal changes, resulting in fine lines, loose skin, and dryness. So supplementing becomes necessary.
Read on to learn why your skin needs collagen to stay young and how to get more of it.
Get the Glow
Want a healthier and more youthful looking appearance? Want to reverse skin aging? As the main structural protein found in your skin, collagen can make skin smooth, supple, and firm, especially when levels of it are high. That’s because this important building block helps skin cells to renew and repair themselves, which improves the skin’s structural integrity and elasticity — diminishing sagging, cracking and wrinkles. When our own collagen production declines, it’s time to maintain or boost this vital amino acid by supplementing it.
One of the most well-known benefits of taking collagen in a nutritional form is its ability to promote a glowing, vibrant complexion. Consumption of collagen also increases skin moisture content, may help fight UVB photo-damage, and can noticeably decrease elastosis (the degeneration of elastic tissue usually due to sun exposure). In other words, collagen helps to get your glow on from the inside out!
How to get collagen into your diet? First, make sure it’s from a pure, organic source. Second, be consistent: take collagen daily.
Today, it’s found in so many quality food products: in protein bars (by reputable companies like Primal Kitchen) or snacks, in pre-made coffee, tea, and power-shots (that you can take before or after your workout). At home, add collagen in a high-quality powder (such as Vital Proteins or Bulletproof) to your daily smoothie or ingest as a supplement with your multivitamin in the morning. For lunch, there are wonderful, easy recipes for the now popular, collagen-rich bone broth — take your pick of adding nutrient dense cilantro, parsley or mushrooms. Pack all that nutritional goodness into your thermos and take it wherever you go or simply add bone broth to soups or stews for an even bigger protein punch. Put collagen in your pancakes, your favorite recipe for cookies, or any delicious, home baked goods.
If you are a vegetarian or vegan, not to worry! There are several plant-based protein supplements in capsule or powder form available. For pescatarians, a variety of marine collagen is on the market that you can simply mix with water or anything that strikes your fancy.
However you get it, collagen makes your skin beautiful!
Let’s talk about nails! As if having glowy, dewy, youthful skin isn’t enough benefit for adding it to your daily nutritional routine, extra collagen can also give you really nice nails. It’s a major protein constituent of your nail bed. Evidence shows that this little amino acid has a big impact on tissue regeneration. Stronger connective tissue means stronger nails; cells form in the root of the nail and then harden as they extend beyond it, transforming brittle nails that break with frequency into strong, resilient, and oh-so-gorgeous nails. Leaving you to do one thing: choose a new polish as your favorite go-to color for summer!
Did you know that you can boost your own body’s production of collagen? How? By eating foods rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C has been shown to help this natural process and now that it’s summer, Mother Nature is here to lend us her ever-helpful hand.
From oranges to bell peppers, she gives us the bounty with which we thrive! In warm weather, that means local strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries — the season for picking is upon us. So have fun! Or go to your local farm stand for watermelon or an abundance of leafy green goodness like kale, mustard greens, and watercress. And, don’t forget herbs like parsley and thyme.
Not that we are rushing things, but by the end of summer come the delicious cruciferous veggies: sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli.
For all this natural assistance in helping us to make our own collagen so that we can have naturally beautiful skin and nails, we give our eternal thanks, as always, to Mother Nature!
A gift certificate to Haven Spa makes a great, uplifting gift for any guy — it’s quick, easy and available 24/7 in our online gift shop. After all, men deserve a haven, too! So here are our most popular services for the fellas:
1. Traditional Deep Tissue Massage — Like a Swedish massage, but with much deeper pressure that many men appreciate. Not only is it beneficial in releasing chronic muscle tension and relieving pain, it can lower blood pressure, reduce stress hormone levels, and boost mood by triggering the release of oxytocin and serotonin.
2. Men’s Deep Cleanse — Our aestheticians customize this facial to men’s specific needs (their skin is thicker, tougher, more oily and hairier). After a thorough skin analysis, intensive cleansing with the Clarisonic brush, extractions, a customized mask, and a personalized skin cream, he’ll look and feel years younger.
3. Signature Manicure & Pedicure — Do men shake hands and walk barefoot on the beach? Of course they do! So their extremities need extra care just like women’s. A polish-free treatment for hands and feet will treat calluses, neaten nails, and soften rough skin.
4. Sea Salt Body Scrub — Men don’t exfoliate as often as they should. Our invigorating sea salt scrub effectively removes dry, itchy skin cells and increases overall circulation.
5. Laser Hair Removal — Women aren’t the only ones with unwanted hair. Many a man have back hair they’d prefer gone. While Haven always offers professional waxing, our Medi-Spa Laser Therapy also offers exceptionally effective, long-lasting hair removal that your man might really appreciate. Just in time for beach season!
Our online gift certificates, available instantaneously 24/7, can be emailed directly to your recipient, emailed to you so you can give in person, or we can snail mail them in a Haven sleeve with your gift note!
At Haven, our mission is Natural Beauty. Natural Beauty is not just taking good care of your skin or being thoughtful about diet and exercise — though those things can certainly be a part of it. Natural Beauty is also a lifestyle, a holistic philosophy that encompasses all the healthful things we do to be our best selves and live our best lives. It’s going back to basics. It’s living with purpose. When our daily decisions are aligned with our personal values, then we can access the natural beauty within ourselves, our environment and our lives. Here are some of the tenets we can live by when making a commitment to The Natural Beauty Manifesto.
We can be busy all day long. Sometimes we are so tired we just want to do something mindless after which we go back to being busy. This is modern life. We all need a gentle reminder to find a way to stop. Stopping, the first tenet of our Natural Beauty Manifesto, is perhaps the most important. It means taking a conscious break from the doing, the random progression of thoughts, the worry, the neverending checklist. It’s setting aside time in which we pay full attention to the present moment. Resting our minds and bodies, sitting with ourselves, breathing in and out, releasing our tensions and preoccupations. We can then become more concentrated, more self-aware, more solid — all of which builds a foundation for well-being and happiness.
Embrace the Quiet
Be still. Do it every day. Embracing the quiet is a wonderful touchstone in The Natural Beauty Manifesto. Stillness can be meditation or mindfulness practice and is the very foundation of awareness. What can awareness do for you? When we create a quiet space, we come back to ourselves, live in the here-and-now, are able to observe and learn what we enjoy and then, cherish it. Embracing the quiet puts us in touch with what is positive and healing. That’s when we tap into something quite important. Quiet lets us find out that what we need is within; we are the chief architects of our own happiness.
Take a breath. Whether you meditate or simply enjoy sitting with yourself, a quick and easy method to stop and get quiet is to take a few deep breaths, even if only for a minute or two. When we speak about Natural Beauty there is nothing more beautiful, and life-affirming, than deep, mindful breathing. When we focus on our breath it brings our mind and body back together; think of the breath as a bridge to relaxation. Breath work has ancient roots: Pranayama, long practiced in India, is now proven by science to reduce anxiety levels and improve cardiac health and increase our overall sense of well-being. Mindful breathing can also be quite spiritual, when done in front of an altar or a vase of fresh flowers. Deep breathing can induce feelings of the sacred and exalted, connecting you to a deeper you and to the universe.
Find Your Vibration
Raising our vibration is the fourth tenet of The Natural Beauty Manifesto. When we view every level of our lives in the context of living at a high vibration, beauty radiates from our being. It’s about the energy. Our vibration can be brought down by modern life when we stray from basic principles and what is most essential. We must understand how fundamentally our overall state of being is made up of energy vibrating at different frequencies. For example, when your energy is high you have that beautiful sense of living in the flow and everything “feels right.” You might even notice people are drawn to you, that’s because like energy attracts energy. How to keep your energy high? Become conscious of your thoughts. Everything you think becomes reality. Think of it as your own personal manifest destiny. Keeping your thoughts positive means your reality will also become positive.
Honor Mother Nature
The Natural Beauty Manifesto would be nothing without Mother Nature. Now that the warm weather is here, we are able to get outside every day and fully enjoy the beauty to be found outdoors. Putting bare feet to earth is a powerful way to reconnect with our environment and ourselves. Live by the sun. Love by the moon. Connecting to nature lets us embrace the beauty and feel the energy that flows from the sacred realm of Demeter. Let the cornucopia of the wild kingdom inform your choices and guide your self-care. Meditate in a meadow, do your sun salutations in the sunshine, buy food from a farm stand. On every level, let Mother Nature’s bounty nourish you inside and out.
Whether you’re looking for the perfect hostess gift, a nice thank you for your child’s teacher at the end of the school year, a congratulations present for a recent college grad, or a thoughtful little something for your best friend on their birthday, Haven’s Spa Boutique features some of the most luxurious and unique treats available, all hand-selected by our style mavens. Here are just a few — stop by the Boutique to see even more!
BLUMA PROJECT EARRINGS
Made by artisans in Guatemala, these Antibes earrings, in a variety of colors, pair delicate beading with a tiny gold hoop post. The fringe gives them a little extra sparkle!
SHIRALEAH MARINA ROUNDIE SHOPPER
The perfect bag for summer! This round shopper is made of jute and cotton and has double handles.
LENNY & EVA BRACELETS
Mix, match, and stack these stand-out beaded bracelets to create a personalized look. Wearers can use the power of natural gemstones to set their intention for each day. Presented on Lenny & Eva’s signature story card, the specific properties of the stone are highlighted. This makes for a perfect gift-giving experience.
Q&A A DAY FOR MOMS – 5 YEAR JOURNAL
A mother and child share so much together — countless milestones, simple joys, unexpected challenges, and all the little surprising moments in between. This five-year journal will help her capture it all — she can simply turn to today’s date and take a few moments to answer the question at the top of the page. As the journal fills, it will become a loving record and cherished family keepsake.
NEST CANDLES & DIFFUSERS
Transport your giftee to balmy beaches and sparkling shoreside sunsets with this new tropical-inspired Summer ‘Scape Collection. The essence of a chill getaway, this collection features brightly decorated ceramic vessels in unique hexagonal shapes, bringing vacation vibes to your everyday. These beautiful vessels feature original artwork inspired by indigenous designs. We carry the rich scents “Hibiscus & Dragonfruit” and “Pineapple & Driftwood.”
STYLISH DECORATIVE TRAY
This ceramic tray celebrating motherhood features gold foil and comes packaged in a lovely gift box. A perfect — and affordable — gift for the kids to give Mommy on Mother’s Day, her birthday, or just because.
Cute works only if it is also comfortable. That’s why OKA-B handcrafts “Shoes That Love You“ in their Georgia factory where inspiration comes from near and far. We carry a selection of their sandals in different colors and styles that will keep any wearer comfortable with breezy straps and a cushioned foot bed.
BAREFOOT DREAMS HOODIE
This Cozychic Baja hoodie takes its cue from Baja California where ease of style and coastal life come together. This unisex style features a generous hood, pockets and stylish wrist stripes. Any recipient will thank you for what feels like a soft, cozy hug.
HAVEN GIFT CERTIFICATE
Finally, you can never go wrong with a Haven Gift Card which can be applied to the service of your gift recipient’s choice. Available immediately, 24/7, in any amount — nothing could be easier! Visit: havenrhinebeck.com/gifts
All of the above are available in our Spa Boutique — call or stop by soon before they’re all scooped up!
Mother’s rock! Celebrating motherhood is a tradition that dates back to ancient Greece. In 1914, Congress designated the second Sunday in May as Mother’s Day. It’s an extra-special day to honor the hard work mothers do every day. No one becomes a mother for the glamour — though moms often wax eloquent about the rewards of parenthood being countless, unimaginable, and uniquely joyful. Still, if we are being honest, we all know we’re responsible for one or two of mom’s gray hairs and perhaps a few of her worry lines, too. To help you thank the woman who does it all while claiming she wouldn’t change a thing, we offer some of the sweetest ways you can express your gratitude to Mom.
Breakfast in Bed
When it comes to showing your appreciation for one of the most important women in your life, one of the loveliest and most mindful gestures on Mother’s Day are for other members of the household to do the usual ‘chores.’ Fathers and children can start with a special breakfast made with an abundance of love; heart-shaped pancakes, eggs, the way she likes them, a bowl of fresh fruit along with her favorite cup of coffee. This presented on a tray with a single bloom of her favorite flower is always a happy way to start the day. Mothers really appreciate the effort, and the additional time in bed.
Setting aside some extra time with your mother on Mother’s Day is a great way to express your appreciation. Perhaps a slow, meandering walk together in nature or the park, brunch at her favorite restaurant, a formal afternoon tea with all the trappings, or a simple visit from you. Time spent with mom is the perfect way to let her know she is valued for all the little, and big, things she does daily. During your ‘mommy and me’ time, you can let her know how very much she means to you. Trust us, she’ll be thrilled!
Write It Down
What better way to show mom than with words that the sacrifices she makes for you every day haven’t gone unnoticed. Simply writing a handwritten note on beautiful paper, inscribing something heartfelt on a specially selected card, or even composing a gratitude-inspired poem will touch mother’s heart deeply. You can be guaranteed, whatever you say, your mom will be rushing to the fridge or foyer table to proudly display your words of gratitude no matter what your age and she’ll feel cherished for the thoughtful effort.
Say It in a Bouquet
In the process of raising children, mothers rarely ask for a thank you, so on Mother’s Day, go to a local florist, a farmer’s market, or even your supermarket and design a unique bouquet, one that has a few of your mother’s favorite flowers and a few new ones that represent your appreciation and love. Putting them together in a creative, customized-by-you bunch will tell her how you feel. Flowers are always the perfect way to say “I love you!”
Hug Your Mother
Mothers are the true definition of a best friend. When it comes to all the people in the world most deserving of a hug, moms come in first place! On Mother’s Day, a hug can express your love and add significant meaning to your words of gratitude. Science certainly agrees; hugs boost positive emotions by increasing oxytocin levels, also known as the “love drug.” Hugs are associated with happiness and for the many beautiful ways, your mom has brought you life-long comfort and joy is, after all, the very best reason to wrap your arms around mom and give her the biggest “thank you for being my mother” squeeze!
Happy Mother’s Day!