At this point in the summer, you’ve probably gotten a pretty good base tan, the novelty of the pool or beach may be wearing off a bit, and the school year is fast approaching. By August, it’s tempting to become a little lax about your SPF application. But don’t do it! Now is the time to be more vigilant than ever. So here’s a little SPF refresher to keep you motivated and keep your skin beautiful.
1. Apply sunscreen correctly, and reapply religiously, every day. According to the skin cancer experts at one of our favorite brands — SkinCeuticals — studies have shown that more than half of sunscreen users do NOT apply the dermatologist-recommended amount to properly protect skin from sun damage. In order to stay adequately protected, it is important that all exposed areas of skin are covered by a generous layer of sunscreen. As a general rule of thumb, a nickel-sized amount should be applied to the face and a shot glass amount should be applied to the body. It is also important to remember that no matter how much sunscreen you apply, it should be reapplied every 2 hours, especially when spending an extended amount of time outdoors. Reapply more frequently if swimming or sweating. See the Skinceuticals video below for more on application technique.
2. Invest in quality sunscreen. We’re proud to carry the very best in sunscreen protection in our boutique. Born from decades of skin cancer research, Skinceuticals’ high potency formulas are concentrated in pure actives and proven to penetrate optimally into skin — choose from SkinCeuticals Light Moisture UV Defense, Sheer Physical UV Defense, and Sport UV Defense — all SPF 50. MD Solar Science’s 40 SPF Mineral Sunblock Stick has a non-whitening formula which glides on easily and flawlessly to deliver powerful mineral protection that is perfect for on-the-go application — it’s non-irritating, oil-free, water resistant up to 80 minutes, and gentle enough for the most sensitive skin types. Finally, Super Goop offers feel-good formulas with clean ingredients that provide super-powered sun protection in a variety of products, from SPF 50 Everyday Sunscreen Lotion to Antioxidant-infused Sunscreen Mist.
3. Make sure your makeup has sunscreen in it. For example, MD Solar Science’s 30 SPF Mineral Tinted Creme has a universally flattering tint and a silky-smooth texture with lightweight matte finish that makes this formula a perfect primer for makeup. And don’t forget your lips! Super Goop’s Mint or Acai Fusion Lip Balm with Shea Butter goes on silky smooth, keeping your lips hydrated in the heat and beautifully protected from the sun.
4. Add Vitamin C. It’s a great corrector of Sun Damage. You can enjoy services like our Environ Vitamin C Facial all season long safely, in order to help restore the look of radiance and improve the signs of sun damage. The powerful antioxidants in such a treatment help to re-establish the look of clarity, giving the skin a brighter, firmer, more youthful appearance. And add Vitamin C daily — for example, with Environ’s Intense C-Boost Mela-Even Cream — to help prevent the destruction of collagen and elastin, and the formation of pigmentation due to sun exposure.
5. Cover up. Beach umbrellas, stylish cover-ups, and wide-brimmed hats are your best accessories in the last month of summer (which goes well into September). We still have some gorgeous sun visors from Tickled Pink, as well as a few beautiful Shiraleah Kimonos and Nibi Montauk cover-ups in our Spa Boutique — all are 25% OFF right now!
6. Limit time in the sun. Between 10am and 2pm are when the sun’s rays are most intense, and thus the most damaging. Try to schedule your time in direct sun — whether for walks, playing or just relaxing — outside of this window. Whatever time of day you’re out in the sun, try not to stay out in it for too long. Long breaks in shade are imperative.
Enjoy the rest of summer!