Not only is winter the time to employ preventative skin care to protect against the cold, dry elements of the season, it’s also a great time to undo the damage incurred during all your outdoor summer activities! All services and products mentioned here are available to try out and purchase at the Haven Spa Boutique:
- Consider Peels & Microderm Abrasion: Whether you opt for a series of peels (lactic peels will lighten sun damage from the summer and help with cell turnover without causing dryness), or microdermabrasion (which will help with texture, clarity and skin renewal), or a combination of both in conjunction with one of our custom medi facials, these treatments will slough away all the damaged skin to reveal a brighter, more even skin tone. It’s a great way to start the cold weather months!
- Gently Cleanse: You want to use a gentle daily cleanser that doesn’t strip your skin of its natural oils. SkinCeuticals Gentle Cleanser does just that: its creamy formula removes excess oils, make-up and other impurities while leaving skin hydrated, soft and refreshed.
- Exfoliate: Properly removing dead surface cells will help maintain your spa treatment until your next visit. How often you exfoliate depends on your skin type: 1) Excessively Dry Skin: Lightly massage the skin with something like Astara’s Refining Scrub using a physical exfoliator once a week. 2) Combination Skin: You could use Astara’s Daily Refining Scrub or Green Papaya Mask 1 to 2 times per week. 3) Oily Skin: Using SkinCeuticals Hydrating B-5 Gel daily would be perfect.
- Hydrate from Within: Drink plenty of water and eat foods rich in omega -3 fatty acids which are responsible for keeping skin well lubricated and giving skin a glowing appearance.
- Add Oils to Your Every Day Regimen: Nourishing topical oils are good for protection and hydration. Jojoba, coconut, Vitamin A and Vitamin C oils are all good choices. One of our favorite blends for dehydrated winter skin is Mu Face Oil. Apply it after exfoliation, before your moisturizer.
- Moisturize Moisturize Moisturize:
After exfoliating, an emollient, rich, free-radical-fighting moisturizer is best for protecting skin from the harsh elements of winter. Be sure to use one in both the AM and PM. Some of our favorites are the Triple Lipid Restore from SkinCeuticals, the MU Moisturizing Complex, and either the rich Radiance Renewal or the lighter Antioxidant Moisturizer, both from Astara.
- Avoid Super Hot Showers: They can strip the skin of its natural oils.
- SPF It Up: Don’t forget, the sun still shines in winter! So wearing a sunblock is a must, especially during outdoor winter activities like skiing and sledding!
All of these winter skincare essentials and more are available at our Spa Boutique in Rhinebeck. Stop in any time or give us a call about any of the lines we carry!